Monday, October 8, 2012

Under the Sea

I like to make small or miniature quilts.  I find it too hot here in South Florida to really use quilts but I love to make them (just like I love to knit but have no need for heavy wool items) so I like to make small ones to use as wall hangings.  I saw the "Under the Sea" quilt in the Darlene Zimmerman book "Fat Quarter and Small Quilts".  I love the simplicity of it and that it was just two colors.  I found two batik fabrics that seemed very calming to me and reminded me of the ocean.  I quilted the blocks with a criss-cross pattern and echo quilted the border of the quilt.

Under the Sea quilt closeup

Under the Sea quilt

There were a lot of little pieces to sew together, but I really love it and think it would also make a great table topper in perhaps a fall colorway.  I found some great batik fabrics recently with a fall feel so I'm sure I'll be making another one soon.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Your photos don't do it justice - especially when it comes to how small all those pieces are!

    ReplyDelete