Sunday, August 5, 2012

It's been awhile...

...since I last posted.  I guess things have been a little busy around here.  At the beginning of June I was feverishly crocheting a baby blanket for my mom that she needed in time for a baby shower.  It was so boring to crochet but I stuck with it and finished it, only I didn't get a picture of it.  I've also been busy making the blocks for the South Florida Modern Quilt Bee.  June was an interesting block using this tutorial.  I started making it using the measurements provide and just couldn't get the block correctly squared up, so I started over, made everything about an inch longer and it worked.  Here's a picture of the first block that didn't square off correctly, unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the second one that came out correctly.

june block

The July block was a granny square using this tutorial.  The block on the top is the one I'm keeping for my sampler quilt and the bottom is the one I gave to the July Queen Bee.

IMAG0331

I also completed the August block that used this tutorial.  But I'm only going to show the block I kept since I haven't give the block to K-Ro yet.  This was a fun block and I think I may make an entire quilt one day.

august block

I've also been busy working on the $10 BOM blocks from StitchCraft.  The June block drove me crazy.

IMAG0332

At least I really enjoyed making the July block (I'll have to post a picture later).

In the South Florida Modern Quilt Guild a round robin quilt has been going around.  I had it in June and added a cute little gnome and some hourglass blocks..







In July we had a swap that involved making something with a zipper.  I saw a cute project in a magazine for a hexagon zippered pouch.  I made one for the swap and made one for myself that has become my new bag for my knitting notions.

hexagon pouch

For August, we had a quick presentation on paper piecing and each of us is making a paper pieced chicken block.  I finished mine this weekend but may have messed up squaring it off.

paper pieced chicken

Goodness, what else?  I really need to keep up to date on this blog and update it more often.  StitchCraft, my LQS, is having it's yearly challenge.  They give you a half yard of fabric that needs to be utilized in your project.  Here's this years fabric.  It's from the IOTA line by Robert Kaufman.

Untitled

I finished piecing my item last weekend and just need to get it quilted.  I'll post pictures after the challenge is over.

I've also been working on a baby size quilt the past few weeks.  I'm not sure if the block pattern has a name, it's just something I sketched out on graph paper.  I'm using a really bright limey green solid for the background.  I saw it in the store and just fell in love.  I finished assembling the quilt top this weekend and pieced the backing fabric, now I just need to get it quilted.


quilt


turtle quilt
 
I realized this weekend that I have about eight quilt tops that need to be quilted.  My current sewing table set up isn't the best for machine quilting so I'm currently on the hunt for a better solution.

knitting 986


On the knitting front, I'm finally getting close to finishing my Mom's sweater.

moms sweater

I also crocheted some squares that I'll have to post pictures of later and just started a scarf that is a gift.

Well, I think that is enough for now.  I'll have to be sure to update more often but as you can tell I've been a bit busy.  It also doesn't help that I got a NOOK for my birthday and have been doing quite a bit of reading lately too.

Can't forget the doggie pictures.  The boys get lots of sleep while I quilt.

IMAG0335

IMAG0336.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment