For the past couple of weeks I have been working on the Clockwise Crochet Cap by Jennifer Hagan. I started the hat and was happily crocheting along. When I was almost to the end I realized there was no way this would ever be a hat. I thought perhaps my gauge was way off so I ripped it out and started again. On try number two I was once again happily crocheting along, almost to the end of my yarn thinking if I just stick with it, it will become a hat. No such luck, it looked like a frisbee and I thought the best I could hope for was to stiffen it and turn it into a bowl.
I sat down last night and really started to look at the hat and slowly go back through the pattern. I finally realized that I had seven spokes coming out from the center instead of the six called for in the pattern. I have no idea how I didn't catch this the first two times I made the pattern. So I ripped it out again and started over carefully. I'm happy to say that I now see a hat starting to form. I'm glad I stuck with it, I only hope that when it's finished it will actually fit cause as always, I didn't bother with a gauge swatch.