Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gauge on....

My mother recently saw Shirley Paden on an episode of Knitting Daily and fell in love with a cabled cowl coat from her new book, Knitwear Design Workshop.  In the book there is a beautiful cabled coat that mom would love to have made.

http://eimages.interweave.com/knittingdaily/mail-by-date/2010/100119/KnitwearDesignWorkshop2.jpg

The coat calls for 3800 yards of aran weight yarn.  Yes, wow!!  3800 yards!  So today we picked up three different yarns to be knitted into gauge swatches to see which one we want to make the coat out of.  We chose Trendsetter Merino VIII, Berroco Pure Merino and Cascade 220 Superwash.  Tonight I started knitting the first gauge swatch in the Trendsetter Merino VIII and already I found an error in the pattern.  Just a minor thing in the chart legend and thankfully I figured it out before I started knitting the entire coat.  Stay tuned for postings of the swatches.

This will be the knitting projects of all knitting projects for me.  I hope I make it to the end.

1 comment:

  1. OMG that is lovely. Can't wait to see which yarn gets to be this lovely thing.

    ReplyDelete